ASSYST is an interactive software tool aimed to significantly automate the process of identifying seizures and/or other epileptiform events in rodent EEG recordings, in off-line operation mode.
ASSYST is now widely used in epilepsy research centres around the world. ASSYST software is a key tool adopted by the global EPIBIOS project and is referenced in several published papers.
Features & Benefits
- ASSYST is able to read, display, and process the rodent EEG recordings, and save the processed results (the timings for identified seizures and/or other events).
- ASSYST needs only a single EEG channel for seizure detection; however, if required, it can process multiple channels as well.
- ASSYST not only finds the seizures and/or other epileptiform activity, but also allows the user to classify the identified epileptiform events into different user-defined categories (e.g., short or long seizures, spike-wave discharges (SWD), interictal spikes, etc.). The classified events can be saved into a text or Excel file.
- ASSYST may be used not only for seizure, SWD or other epileptiform activity detection but also for detection of various oscillations, including high-frequency oscillations (HFO).
- ASSYST typically takes 20 minutes to process and then complete classification of >7 days of continuous multi-channel rodent EEG recordings.
- ASSYST has been validated in many rat and mouse models with >99% sensitivity.
- ASSYST is interactive: the user can intervene and make adjustments at different stages of processing to achieve desired results.
- ASSYST is powered with a new V3.0 algorithm for fully automatic identification of events with regular repetitive structure, such as spike-wave discharges (SWDs), and distinguishing them from artefacts and other irrelevant events.
- ASSYST provides remarkable flexibility in processing depending on particular data and user needs – from highly automated with minimum influence from user, to a semi-automated inspection of every ASSYST-identified ‘event’, large or small.
- ASSYST allows easy work with parameters: it has several preset parameter sets for detection of different types of epileptiform activity (e.g., seizures or SWDs) in different rodent models of epilepsy. For every client, we can prepare specific customized parameter sets depending on animal model used and types of events to be detected.
- ASSYST uses an advanced time-frequency analysis technique to reveal the EEG segments with excessive activity in a certain frequency band.
- We have found that electrographic seizures and SWDs in rats and mice contain a specific frequency component that is not present in the normal, interictal EEG. This finding formed the basis of our method for identifying and extracting epileptiform activity in the EEG. Powered by our advanced algorithm for precise calculation of short-term Fourier transform with high frequency resolution, effective and reliable performance of the software is ensured.
- The spectral content of the EEG within the given frequency band is assessed by Spectral Band Index (SBI), which is derived from the power spectrum.
- For automatic SWD identification a novel technique based on running beat spectrum analysis is used.
ASSYST version 1.1 - New Features Added
ASSYST version 2.0 - New Features Added
There were three major methodological developments in version 2.0:
ASSYST version 2.1 - New Features Added
ASSYST version 3.0 - New Features Added (April, 2020)
ASSYST 3.0 has one major enhancement over previous ASSYST versions:
With ASSYST 3.0, this examination/assessment process is much faster and more automated.